The front door of your home or business is the first thing your guests see before they enter. It’s also your first line of defense against intruders and the elements. For these reasons, choosing the right front door is a significant decision you shouldn’t take lightly. Before you even think about paint color, window panels, and other styling, you need to select a material. Exterior doors come in three main options—steel, wood, and fiberglass. Which one is the right choice for you?
At The French Steel Company, we believe homes and businesses alike benefit the most from installing high-quality French Steel doors. Compare the qualities of steel doors vs. wood and fiberglass doors here.
Then, contact us for help picking out a beautiful, functional, energy-efficient entry door.
Steel Doors Vs. Wood Doors
- Aesthetics: The beauty of wood is its strongest attribute. Many people love the warmth this natural material provides. Even so, steel doors are available with wood-grain patterns if you prefer that look. They also come in sleek modern designs that wood can’t replicate.
- Durability: Wood is prone to warping and cracking after prolonged exposure to the elements. On the other hand, steel holds up for decades without an issue.
- Maintenance: To prevent weathering, wood doors must be refinished every one to two years. However, steel only needs attention on the rare occasion that it sustains damage.
- Efficiency: As long as they fit tightly in the frame, steel entry doors offer significantly higher energy efficiency than wood doors because they have a higher insulating value.
- Security: Burglars can force their way through a wood door by splintering the doorjamb near the strike plate. This can’t happen with a steel entry door.
- Cost: Wood is the most costly door material available. Opt for steel to enjoy better quality and lower prices.
Steel Doors Vs. Fiberglass Doors
- Aesthetics: It can be difficult to tell the difference between steel and fiberglass by looks alone. Both come in many styles, including smooth and wood-grain texture. You can also find steel and fiberglass doors with insulated glass inserts and bifold designs.
- Durability: While fiberglass is designed to last many years, steel is the strongest, most durable door material on the market. High-quality products won’t crack or warp and are resistant to scratching and denting.
- Maintenance: Fiberglass can be refinished if damaged, but this must be done by a professional. If a steel door manages to get scratched, it can be primed and repainted to prevent rusting. Dents can also be puttied to restore a smooth finish.
- Efficiency: Both fiberglass and steel are more efficient than wood. The overall construction and quality of the door is the most determining factor.
- Security: While solidly constructed fiberglass guards against break-ins, steel entry doors offer the best solution for homes and businesses hoping to maximize security.
- Cost: The total cost for a new door can vary widely, but steel doors are often more affordable than fiberglass doors with comparable styling and options.
Install Steel Doors from The French Steel Company
Inspired by French and European architecture since 2005, The French Steel Company is your top source for premium replacement steel doors. French Steel is an attractive option for luxury homes and commercial storefronts that are hoping to stand out from ordinary architecture. All our doors are built to NAMI certification standards, so you can rest assured they are of the highest quality available. Trust our professionals to assist with the entire door replacement process, from the initial selection to the final installation.
We have offices in Atlanta and Washington, D.C., but we sell our products throughout the U.S., so you can enjoy top-quality French Steel doors no matter where you live or work. Contact us today to start your order.